AAA, Detroit Police Department and University Prep Team Up for “Ride for Peace”
Honoring National Police Week and Bike Safety
- University Prep Science & MathStudents
- Tammy Johnson, School Operations Manager, University Prep Science & Math
- Officer Dale Dorsey, Detroit Police Department – 3rd Precinct
- Gary Bubar, Public Affairs and Traffic Safety Specialist, AAA – The Auto Club Group
WHAT: Ride for Peace
In honor of National Police Week*, AAA, the Detroit Police Department and University Prep Science & Math will team up for the “Ride for Peace” and these activities:
*By a joint resolution on October 1, 1962, President John F. Kennedy signed Public Law 87-726 that declared May15 as “National Peace Officers Memorial Day” and the calendar week in which May 15 falls as “National PoliceWeek”, the annual tribute to law enforcement service and sacrifice.
- Student bikers will gather in the parking lot
- AAA will donate bike helmets** and perform proper helmet fittings for students
- Free bike and pedestrian safety materials from AAA and the Southeast Michigan Council of Governments (SEMCOG) will be distributed to students
- Guest speakers from University Prep Science & Math, Detroit Police Department and AAA will discuss:
- The Ride For Peace
- National Police week
- Bike and pedestrian safety
- Bike helmet safety and proper fittings
- The importance of teens leading by example in their neighborhoods and communities
**AAA’s Bike Helmet Donation and Proper Fitting Program is part of the organization’s legacy of traffic safety
advocacy. With Michigan’s growing number of cyclists, AAA continues its commitment to bike safety and
sharing the road with pedestrians, cyclists and motorists.
WHEN: Friday, May 18th starting at 9am
9:00am Student bikers assemble
Students receive free bike safety helmets along with proper fitting
Brief remarks from participating organizations
9:30am The “Ride for Peace” begins with student, Detroit Police and AAA bikers riding a route through the Dequindre Cut and surrounding area
10:00am Bikers start returning to school parking lot for beverages, snacks and bike safety
WHERE: University Prep Science & Math, 2664 Franklin Street, Detroit, MI 48226
MEDIA: Ample interview and photo ops will be available with the participants during the event and bike ride.
AAA in Michigan celebrated its 100th Anniversary - A Century of Service in 2016 and has over 1.4 million members across the state. It is part of The Auto Club Group (ACG). Connect with us on Facebook and LinkedIn.
The Auto Club Group (ACG) is the second largest AAA club in North America. ACG and its affiliates provide membership, insurance, financial services and travel offerings to over 9.5 million members across eleven states and two U.S. territories including Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, North Dakota, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands; most of Illinois and Minnesota; and a portion of Indiana. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation with more than 58 million members in the United States and Canada and whose mission includes protecting and advancing freedom of mobility and improving traffic safety. Motorists can map a route, identify gas prices, find discounts, book a hotel, and access AAA roadside assistance with the AAA Mobile app for iPhone, iPad and Android. Learn more at AAA.com/mobile. AAA clubs can be visited on the Internet at AAA.com.