January 15, 2017|
AAA MICHIGAN REPORTS: GAS PRICES DROP A DIME
Dearborn, Michigan (January 15, 2017) — AAA Michigan reports that the statewide average daily gas price decreased about 10 cents. Michigan’s current statewide average is about $2.40 per gallon, about 10 cents less than last week’s average and about 61 cents more than this same time last year.
Metro Detroit’s average daily gas price decreased about 10 cents. Metro Detroit’s current average is about $2.41 per gallon, about 10 cents less than last week’s average and about 62 cents more than this same time last year.
Of the ten Michigan metro areas surveyed by AAA for self-serve unleaded fuel prices, the lowest average price can be found in the Flint area for the second week in row, where it’s about $2.30 a gallon. The highest average price can be found in the Marquette area where it’s about $2.52 a gallon.
According to the latest reports from AAA:
- Michigan ranked:
- < >in the nation for most expensive average daily gas price.< > in the nation for biggest weekly change (-10 cents)< >in the nation for biggest yearly change (+62 cents)According to the latest EIA report, regional Midwest inventories remain abundant and production from regional refineries is also high.
- However, pump prices in the region remain volatile.
- Recently, six of the states in the region ranked in the nation’s top 10 largest increases and every state in the region posted double-digit increases over the same time period.
- Prices seem to be leveling out a bit, but are not expected to drop significantly as the market continues to react to the OPEC production agreement.
- The OPEC Secretary-General recently made a statement that he is confident that the cartel can keep their production cut agreement as determined last November.
- Under the accord, OPEC, Russia and other non-members of the producer group will curtail oil output by nearly 1.8 million barrels per day for six months.
- An OPEC meeting to monitor compliance will be held in Vienna on January 22.
- The objective of the meeting will be to decide what level of compliance would be acceptable in an effort to keep all countries participating.
- Traders will watch closely how OPEC and non-OPEC members continue to implement cuts and if compliance will continue.
Regular Unleaded Gas
Current and Past Price Averages
|Sunday ||Week Ago ||Year Ago |
|National ||2.344 ||2.369 ||1.925 |
|Michigan ||2.408 ||2.514 ||1.792 |
|Ann Arbor ||2.438 ||2.536 ||1.815 |
|Benton Harbor ||2.316 ||2.493 ||1.786 |
|Detroit ||2.411 ||2.514 ||1.785 |
|Flint ||2.301 ||2.481 ||1.728 |
|Grand Rapids/Muskegon/Holland ||2.393 ||2.522 ||1.804 |
|Jackson ||2.447 ||2.528 ||1.822 |
|Lansing/E. Lansing ||2.399 ||2.507 ||1.683 |
|Marquette ||2.522 ||2.523 ||1.880 |
|Saginaw/Bay City/Midland ||2.424 ||2.534 ||1.702 |
|Traverse City ||2.390 ||2.484 ||1.870 |
| || || || || |
AAA surveys 2,800 Michigan gas stations daily.
The next Gas Price Primer will be emailed on Sunday, January 22, 2017
AAA in Michigan celebrated its 100th Anniversary - A Century of Service last year and has over 1.4 million members across the state. It is part of The Auto Club Group (ACG), the second largest AAA club in North America. ACG and its affiliates provide membership, travel, insurance and financial services offerings to more than 9 million members across eleven states and two U.S. territories including Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, North Dakota, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands; most of Illinois and Minnesota; and a portion of Indiana. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation with more than 56 million members in the United States and Canada and whose mission includes protecting and advancing freedom of mobility and improving traffic safety. Motorists can find current gas prices, map a route, find discounts, book a hotel and access AAA roadside assistance with the free AAA app for iPhone, iPad and Android at AAA.com/mobile. Connect with us on Facebook and LinkedIn.
About The Auto Club Group
The Auto Club Group (ACG) is the second largest AAA club in North America. ACG and its affiliates provide membership, travel, insurance and financial services offerings to approximately 9 million members across 11 states and two U.S. territories including Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, North Dakota, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands; most of Illinois and Minnesota; and a portion of Indiana. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation with nearly 55 million members in the United States and Canada and whose mission includes protecting and advancing freedom of mobility and improving traffic safety.
About Auto Club Group Traffic Safety Foundation
Established by AAA – The Auto Club Group in 2010, Auto Club Group Traffic Safety Foundation, Inc. (ACGTSF) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and public charity dedicated to producing a significant and continuous reduction in traffic crashes, injuries and deaths in the communities targeted by its efforts. ACGTSF provides programs, education and outreach to increase public awareness about the importance of traffic safety and improve driving behavior. ACGTSF is funded by voluntary, tax-deductible contributions from organizations and individuals who support ACGTSF’s purpose.
Other articles in Fuel: