News Travel Holiday Travel

Add Article to My Briefcase Print Friendly Version

Contact(s):
Nancy Cain
phone: 313.336.1514
May 22, 2012
More than 1.1 million Memorial Day travelers travelers launch state summer travel season

                More than 1.1 million Michigan residents will travel 50 miles or more on vacation during the upcoming Memorial Day weekend, launching the start of the 2012 summer travel season, says AAA Michigan.  State travel is projected to be up slightly this holiday, compared to last year.  AAA projects 34.8 million travelers nationally, an increase of 1.2 percent. The Memorial Day holiday travel period is defined as Thursday, May 24 to Monday, May 28.

                  The iconic road trip will be the dominant mode of transportation this holiday. Approximately 30.7 million will travel by vehicle nationwide, almost nine out of ten holiday travelers (88 percent), also up1.2 percent. Of Michigan’s travelers, 973,000 – 91 percent – will drive by vehicle, slightly more than last year. They will find Michigan gas prices about $3.74 per gallon (as of May 21), down 18 cents from last year.
                   While gas prices rose earlier this year, a survey of intended travelers found that 53 percent said gas prices would not impact their upcoming Memorial Day holiday travel plans. The remaining 47 percent of travelers who said prices would impact plans cited planning shorter trips and economizing in other areas as ways to offset fuel costs.
                   “We expect more people will travel across our state this holiday, and this summer season,” said AAA Michigan President Steve Wagner. He credited a slightly improving economy and pent-up demand among reasons for an anticipated two to three percent increase.
                    The number of air travelers in Michigan is comparable to last year -- nearly six percent. The remaining three percent of travelers will go by train or bus.
                      According to AAA’s Leisure Travel Index, hotel rates for AAA Three-Diamond lodgings are expected to increase eight percent, with travelers spending an average $160 nightly, compared to $148 last year.
                     According to survey results, the average distance traveled during the holiday is expected to be 642 miles, 150 miles less than last year’s average of 792 miles. Last year, the shortest trips -- less than 150 miles -- made up 19 percent of total travel, compared to 21 percent this year. This reinforces the expectation that shorter trips will be more popular this holiday. Median spending is expected to be $702, up from last year’s $692.
                      For Michigan AAA members, the 10 most popular driving destinations in Michigan (based on TripTik reports) this year are:

1)
Frankenmuth
2)
Detroit
3)
Grand Rapids
4)
Ann Arbor
5)
Traverse City
6)
Holland
7)
Lansing
8)
Mackinaw City
9)
Mount Pleasant
10)
Midland
 


 
 
 
 
          During last Memorial Day weekend, Michigan State Police report nine  people died in seven  fatal crashes, down from 15 in 2010. One was a motorcyclist. Alcohol was a factor in three of the fatal crashes. Of eight killed in vehicles with seat belts available, three were not using them.
AAA Michigan will again partner with the Michigan State Police (MSP) in supporting Operation C.A.R.E. (Combined Accident Reduction Effort.)  Yellow banners will be posted at rest areas statewide, with many sites offering complimentary coffee and refreshments.  Operation C.A.R.E. volunteers will provide traffic safety information during the three summer holiday periods.
        AAA’s projections are based on economic forecasting and research by IHS Global Insight. The Boston-based economic research and consulting firm teamed with AAA in 2009 to jointly analyze travel trends during the holidays. The complete AAA/ IHS Global Insight 2012 Memorial Day holiday forecast can be found at NewsRoom.AAA.com.

AAA Michigan is part of The Auto Club Group (ACG), the second largest AAA club in North America. ACG and its affiliates provide membership, travel, insurance and financial services offerings to approximately 8.5 million members across 11 states and two U.S. territories, including Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, North Dakota, Wisconsin, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands; most of Illinois, Minnesota and Tennessee; and a portion of Indiana. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation with nearly 53 million members in the United States and Canada and whose mission includes protecting and advancing freedom of mobility and improving traffic safety.



< back

Related Assets 
Other articles in Holiday Travel: